Circus Dramaturgy – On the Border between Art and Academia
The research project Zirkus | Wissenschaft invites applications for the first ever Residency for contemporary circus artists at the University of Münster. Its aim is to open the dialogue between artistic practice and academic reflection by combining an academic masterclass with an artist residency.
During the residency, you will get the opportunity to work with students specialized in the analysis of cultural representations. Within five days, you will receive feedback on your in-progress piece to which you can react immediately and further develop the work in collaboration with the students. At the end of the residency there will be a work-in-progress presentation in which both students and artists* will report on their experiences.
What We Are Looking For – Artists Interested in Dramaturgical Reflections
- A contemporary circus production team with up to four artists* curious about crossing the borders between art and academia, with an in-progress creation/piece at hand
- Pieces that deal with the subject of ‘border crossing’ are given preference.
What We Offer – Academics Interested in Dramaturgical Practice
- An introduction to theoretical concepts of circus dramaturgy/cultural poetics and representation
- Intensive feedback sessions from an academic perspective
- Use of rehearsal space at the Studiobühne of the University of Münster (10×6 meters; height: 5 m) Please note that aerial is unfortunately not possible!)
- Expense allowance or fee (depending on production size)
- Contribution to production budget (depending on production size)
As the first of its kind in Germany, this project aims to connect artistic and academic visions and perspectives for a unique kind of research-creation!
Please include in your application
- Letter of motivation
- A short outline of the ideas /visions and current status concerning the work in discussion
- Photos & video material of the work in discussion
- CV of the company and artists involved in the project
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org until February 15th.